Follow by Email

Monday, May 16, 2011

How to Make Homemade Laundry Soap...(Not MOONSHINE, Momma.)

I just want you all to know that this man is not me.  I don't even know who he is.  But I know what copper is worth, so he better hide it. 
  
        I feel like I should put a disclaimer at the beginning of this post.  Apparently, my mom's aversion to me making her laundry soap is because she thought I was talking about moonshine, rotgut, white lightening... you know, illegal booze.  So, Momma, if you read this, I really am making laundry soap.  Not corn liquor, and I don't have a still, and you of all people know how gosh darn expensive copper is.  So the moonshinin' will wait...
    
             Laundry soap is so easy and cheap to make that it ought to be illegal what they charge for the stuff premade.  It's 4 ingredients: water, Borax, washing soda, and Fels Naptha.  You also need a 2 or 5 gallon bucket to put it in.  All this you should be able to find in your laundry section at your store.  Or, even better, at your local Rural King.  If you don't have a Rural King, I'm sure sad for you.  I suggest you write your local congressman and demand one.  Friday nights just aren't Friday nights without a Rural King.
     


             Since most people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them what's in it, I'll tell you what the stuff is.  Borax is what my Memaw used to wash clothes in.  Alot of folks don't know, but Borax is all natural and always has been.  It's safe, no one's died from their memaw washing their clothes so rest easy.  Washing soda is kinda like baking soda but super-charged.  It's all natural too.  Fels-Naptha is like a bar of laundry soap, and I like the way it smells, but you may not.  Keep in mind that I also think WD-40 smells wonderful too.  If you can't find these 3 things, you need to move closer to a Rural King.  Your life will be better.  (And no, Rural King doesn't pay me to promote them, I just love them.  They love the fact they get a good chunk of money from me I'm sure, too.)
      
               It's 4 easy steps. None of which involve copper tubing, hiding in the woods, oak barrels, or running from Boss Hogg in a 1969 Dodge Charger r/t with a 440 magnum named "The General Lee".  But anyhow...
            #1.  Grate 1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap into 6 cups of water in a saucepan and heat it till it melts.
            #2.  Add 1/2 cup of your Borax and 1/2 cup of your washing soda and stir that up until it dissolves.
            #3.  Pour 4 cups hot water into your bucket/container and add your Fels Naptha mixture to that.
            #4.  Add 1 gallon plus 6 cups of water to all that and stir it up.  Let it sit for about 24 hours and    
                   it'll gel up just like the fancy brands at Walmart.

             You use about 1/2 cup per load.  Tide cost about $.35 per load, this runs in the neighborhood of $.01 to $.02.   The Borax was $3.49, Washing Soda $2.99, and Fels Naptha $1.49.  One bar of Fels Naptha will make you 3 batches of soap.

              Now...Momma would you like some laundry soap?

5 comments:

  1. I am sad to say I don't even know what a Rural King is. It sounds like my kinda store but I am impressed with your knowledge of what Bo and Luke drove.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I may have to just try this..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Making moonshine or laundry detergent? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make the same sort of soap but leave out the water. Takes about 15 minutes if you use the food processor to grate the Naptha. 2 cups Naptha (fine grate) 1cup Borax, 1cup washing soda. Mix and use 3 tbs per load....even works for the boy clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That seems way simpler. Sometimes when you make it with water it kind of congeals on top. I will definitely try your method next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete