Follow by Email

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Slowly but surely

I think the garden may produce a little after all.  The weather here is starting a pattern of flooding and continuous rain so you can't get your crops out, then once you do, it's hotter than blue blazes and doesn't rain at all.  Very trying.

I did one heck of a weed job on the root garden yesterday, trying to wage war on life's aggravations one weed at a time.  I can't say that it was a definite cure for the mood I've been in lately, but it at least took the edge off by making me too tired and hot to put forth the energy it takes to be mad. 

I haven't canned a thing this year besides some strawberry jam.  I guess I could go pick raspberries today but my inner procrastinator says it's 100% humidity and 90 degrees.  I still have a lot left from last year as long as I don't give it all away.

There were a lot of good sales this week, but I started a new budget.  I am all for stockpiling goods at good prices, but sometimes we have to put that on hold for more pressing issues.  The prepper in me hates it, but I have to break this cycle I've gotten into to justifying spending every cent I make putting stuff back.  I have to save some money for some things coming up and I swear to you I have think about not spending that money everytime I see a good sale at least every 5 minutes.  It's kind of like quitting smoking, you try to change for the good, but all you really get done doing is thinking about what your giving up.

2 comments:

  1. We are in the same boat with the garden (weeds & harvest) as well as the spending.

    There was once a time (late last year,) I had so much food stockpiled due to good deals. Now, our freezers are empty, and I've learned to buy pretty much just what we need. It kills me sometimes when meat is on sale, but I have to do it. Yesterday, I DID end up buying quite a bit of meat for less than $22. 10 lbs of chicken, pork ribs and steaks. I am hoping it is enough to last us through the month. At least that's the goal. :-)

    I'm glad I'm not the only one that goes a little hog-wild with sales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It becomes almost counterproductive doesn't it? Sure I have enough toilet paper to keep all the bathrooms in a truckstop for at least a week, but if the washer breaks or heaven forbid one of us need to go to the doctor, I'm not sure I could pay for either in toilet paper or dry beans. LOL. As far as the garden...I'm starting to see that the more we are depending on it for food, the less the weather seems to cooperate. We also seemed to have bought bad seed this year with poor germination rates. Six of one, half dozen of the other, I guess.

    BTW...where did you get all that meat for that price? We have started buying ours at harvest since we haven't been able to have cows for a while or some pigs. You can catch stuff real decently priced there if you watch their ads.

    ReplyDelete