Follow by Email

Monday, December 12, 2011

The Change I Want to See Begins With Me...

I have been thinking a lot lately about, well, a lot.  And it seems to me that the only way anything is every going to change is if I light a fire up under my own ass.  Pardon the language but it's true.  Too often these last couple of weeks I have heard people say the following:
       -"I can't afford to cook and eat well at home, so I take the kids through a drive-thru about every day or just pop something in the microwave."
       - "I'm not going to vote...it doesn't make a difference anyway."
       - "I don't care about what they do to my food as long as it's cheap."

This makes me so mad on so many levels.

First:  I can't stand hearing parents, of all people, say they eat and feed their children fast-food every night or on a regular basis.  Everyone is busy, everyone is broke...not an excuse.  Maybe if you didn't have a $1200 designer purse and a $40000 vehicle you could afford to feed your children quality food.  I've always been the first to admit when I've slacked off or been "busy" and not wanted to cook and ordered pizza.  Every once in a while is okay, but not on a regular basis.  If people knew what they were actually eating, they would never eat it.  That being said, from here on out I am going to bust my rump and stop buying anything processed or iffy.  If I can't understand what the ingredients are (and I am a science major) it's not coming in this house.  Joel Salatin (and I'm going to paraphrase ALOT) said it best that when you figure in what that junk actually costs and the time it actually takes off your life, it's not so cheap after all, and if you have time to watch a movie, you have time not to feed your family veritable poison.  Let's face facts, that's what that crap is.

Second, it does matter if you vote.  If you don't vote, you can't bitch, as my momma used to say.  If you don't like the people running, get behind someone you do.  The American people forget that we have the power to overturn about anything we put our minds to.

Third:  If you just want your food to be cheap, then don't cry and whine when you are obese and diabetic and feel terrible.  Don't cry and whine when your arteries are clogged and you are full of cancers that we didn't see before the Industrial Revolution.  And sure as hell don't cry if you get E. Coli from eating CAFO beef because some idiots at the USDA decided it's okay to pack 500 cows in a dark barn with shit up to their necks and no place to lay down and pump them full of drugs that make them able to live in a situation that NO animal should be put in.

I won't stand for it.  I've passively stood by for so long, and now I just can't anymore.  If I can't get it local or at least organic, I'm not bringing it this house.  The sooner the American people start 'voting' with their food dollars, the sooner farmers trying to heal the earth and be good stewards of the land can stop getting their dicks drug in the dirt by the USDA.  The sooner we put an end to special interests groups who wine and dine our congress people, the sooner we can start to enact change.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that I can go to jail if I sell our homemade products but I could go out right now and try and sell drugs and get in less trouble.

It's time for change, folks.  And I sure as hell ain't talking Obama who made Micheal Taylor Deputy Commissioner of Foods at the FDA.  Next, he'll let Monsanto make Halloween candy for the kids.

3 comments:

  1. Well I can understand organic and local food as being too expensive. I can't afford it all the time but I do get it when I can and I do try to grow as much as I can. That is all I can do for now but I think it helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where I'm sittin that looks a lot like venting to me right there. Even so, I do agree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every little thing helps. Even venting a little...lol

    ReplyDelete