Follow by Email

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Food for Thought...

I have been reading Joel Salatin's new book, Folks, This Ain't Normal, and I have to say it's made me think alot lately about the way I've done things this year, and how I've approached what we do and our health.  I'm actually, if I'm being honest, ashamed of myself.  This year (like every year), I started out with noble intentions in what I was going to accomplish and how much I was going to put by, and quite frankly, I let it all go to hell in a hand basket.  From flooding rains all spring, a poor planting plan and then a drought all summer, I adopted a 'to hell with it' attitude.  I had things going on in my career and just let it all slide.  There was certainly more I could've done, but instead I choose convenience over health.

And I am feeling it now.

I feel run down, I drank pop and ate fast food the better of the last 2 months and I haven't got any exercise.  You know you've got a problem when pouring from a full gallon of milk makes you want to nap.

So, starting tomorrow, I'm done with this fast-life crap I've been living.  We went to the grocery and the only processed food we had in our cart was tortilla chips.  The rest was staples, and that was more than I would have had to have had I not been worthless half the summer feeling sorry for myself. (Isn't it endearing how my brutal honesty extends even to myself?)  We have too much we want out of this life to live like that.  I don't see how people eat fast food like that.  I never had until recently, and I feel awful.  Sluggish, bloated and just plain run-down.  No more.

This next year will be my red letter year.  No time for mistakes.  All the things I always set out to do on a cold January day dreaming of the warmth of summer and dirt under my nails is going to come to fruition this year. 

I'm done with processed food and pop.  After my coffee creamer is out, I'll use plain milk and natural sweeteners.  If what I buy can sit on the counter for 3 days and not start to decompose, it's not going in my body.  That ain't normal at any rate. :).

"If it's worth doing, it's worth doing wrong."

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. With both my Spring and Fall gardens being a flop, most of my storage is store bought foods. I hate it but we do have to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ain't that the truth!

    ReplyDelete