Follow by Email

Monday, December 26, 2011

Oh, to be organized...(Alternate title: 'The pain and suffering that Better Homes and Gardens has brought upon me.'

For some unknown reason, as soon as Christmas is over, I have to get the Christmas tree and decorations down.  It drives me nuts to see a forlorn tree the day after Christmas.  As of right now, I have all the decorations put haphazardly in my craft room.  I need to go get a bunch of totes to organize that mess and put it neatly in the craft room closet.

No big deal, right?

Wrong.

Due to some freak of genetics and upbringing, clutter makes me anxious.  Not in the way like, "Oh, I really should organize some of this."  More like, I can't hardly sleep at night thinking of the ways I could organize and simplify and de-clutter.  Almost to the point of clinical anxiety.  And I blame my momma.

Every single Saturday, my momma would have us help her clean the house top to bottom.  Everything in her house has a place, a place that hasn't changed in my entire life.  She is my hero, but to this day, I can't sit and relax if my house is a disaster.  On Fridays, when normal people get off work and look forward to relaxing, I am racing home to clean my house top-to-bottom.  The sad part is, to me, it's still a mess.

To help alleviate this anxiety, this year I'm going to do it...I'm going to organize this house top-to-bottom.  I'm going to buy totes and shelving units until my heart is content and I feel at peace with this unorganized monstrosity.

Even if it kills me...

I got the latest issue of Better Homes and Gardens Friday.  In the midst of running around and cooking and taking care of the animals, I saw it...

The mudroom of my dreams!

I completely fell apart.  I must have this mudroom.  I don't care what it takes.  I don't think I'll be at peace until I convince Woody to help me make this happen.  I see no rest for him until he does.  I don't think the good folks at Better Homes and Gardens know what their publication induces in us womenwhodrool over new kitchen cabinets that organize or fantasize about color-coordinated desks with everything 'just-so'.  Or Country Sampler.  That's a magazine that could lead me head-first into a bankruptcy court and a marriage counselor in one fell swoop if I don't watch it.  Please, do me a favor and pray for my husband...I'm not sure he realized how much crazy he was getting.  Bless his heart.

I also have to finish this house.  It's making me a neurotic mess.  We will be "relaxing" and I'll look at Woody and start spouting off lists of what needs finished.  About an hour later, I always say, "See, it's not that much."  It's actually a lot.

Right now, I am fighting the urge to go out with all the crazy post-Christmas shoppers and fill the truck up with totes and organizational tools that frankly, I can't afford right now.

I'm going to spend the rest of my day taking deep breaths in and out, trying to wait until I get paid again to do so.

I'm going to try and control the urge to hyperventilate in this house full of post-holiday clutter.

And I am probably going to fail...epically.

2 comments:

  1. I have the same problem with post Christmas. My family wants to keep the tree and decor until after new years. I want it down and packed away the day after Christmas. arg! I want there stuff gone from the living room ON Christmas. I want the wrapping paper to go into a garbage bag AS it is being ripped off the package. I WANT MY LIFE BACK! I WANT TO MOVE ON! I feel your pain. I have managed to learn how to take down stuff in increments all week long the tree being last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have far more self control than I. The first thing I do on the 26th is get all that put away and out of the house. I don't think they really care too much as long as I don't ask for help. :)

    ReplyDelete