Follow by Email

Saturday, January 14, 2012

A Big-Job Cleaner

        Since I'm an extremely exciting person and yesterday was Friday I did my weekly "Big Clean" and tried out another homemade cleaner.

      I was raised on Murphy's Oil Soap.  Our house always smelled of it growing up and I came to associate that smell with spending my Saturday helping momma clean house.

      I have certain expectations of what I think a big-job cleaner should do and have had no qualms up until now dropping cold-hard-cash on Murphy's Oil soap...until now.

      This little number did one bang-up job on walls, woodwork, wall paper, you name it and it didn't hurt a thing, was easy to make and cost me cents.

Big Job Cleaner
  • 1/2 cup ammonia
  • 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
  • 1/4 cup baking soda
  • 1 gallon warm water
Put these in order in to a bucket and your set.  I did add some orange essential oil and I have to say this 180 year old house smells pretty darn fresh today.  I have an English Mastiff and they fling slobber everywhere that sets up like cement and it took it right off without a lot of effort, unlike Lysol concentrate or Murphy's Oil soap.  This here's a keeper.

2 comments:

  1. I will keep this recipe. You may find this funny. Yesterday I went to our local grocery store which you may think being on an island would be a little mom and pop place but it isn't. It is more of a big box type place with about 12 or 14 cashier stations. They don't carry washing soda. I will have to get it next time I go off island unless of course that is something we northerners don't use much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sista-
    Washing Soda is just like baking soda I think. It's just in a bigger box in the laundry aisle!

    ReplyDelete