Follow by Email

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Cost and Cleaners

I ran today after work and got the things to start making these cleaners.

Here's the rundown so far to make everything I think you could ever need to make any kind of cleaner:
  • Arm & Hammer Laundry Soda,  3+ pound box = $2.12
  • Borox 20 Mule Team, 4 pound box = $3.99
  • Fels-Naptha bar= $0.97
  • White Distilled Vinegar, 1 gallon = $2.38
  •  Ammonia (nonsudsing), 1 quart = $1.12
  • Rubbing alcohol, 8 ounces =$0.94
  • Hydrogen peroxide, 16 ounces = $0.88
  • Lemon juice, 8 ounces = $1.78
  • Olive oil, 8 ounces = $4.54
  • Lemon/orange essential oil, 10 mL = $6.00
Subtotal: $24.72 plus Indiana sales tax of 7% = $26.45.

I would easily spend this much every 2 weeks on cleaning supplies.  Here's the real sweet part:  with these ingredients above, I can make all of the following:

  • laundry detergent
  • fabric softener
  • cleaning scrub
  • bathroom and kitchen cleaner
  • all-purpose cleaner
  • vinyl floor cleaner
  • wood floor cleaner
  • furniture polish
  • deodorizing spray
  • drain declogger
And these supplies will last me probably at least 6 months if not more.  I bought duplicates of most of this because generally once I show my mom how effective something is and how much money it will save her, I make her things too.  We generally go dutch on supplies, but I'm not sure why, it's not that expensive and if I'm making one batch it's no harder to double it.  She would do it herself but I like doing it for her, she works so hard and is pretty much the sole caregiver of my grandparents.  Since she essentially cleans two houses, this will cut down both our expenses.

7 comments:

  1. Your list look nearly complete. I use bi-carb soda and vinegar for lots of cleaning. I live in Australia so I think the same thing is called baking soda in the US. As long as it doesn't have cream of tarter in it. Just came upon your blog today. I'll be reading some of your back posts to learn more. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know of some kind of cleaner I missed let me know! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Would like to know if you have a solution for a cleanser like comet. You know the kind that cleans the kitchen sink and gets the stains out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did my first batch of Laundry Soap so we will see how it turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sista- I just posted a Comet-esque recipe for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. MDR- Now you can try homemade fabric softener!

    ReplyDelete