Follow by Email

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Don't Write Checks...

        This morning, while sitting in our daily meeting at work, a co-worker made a comment (off-topic, I might add) about someone who was married to someone else and there was a 20-30 year age difference, I don't quite remember exactly, and I sure as heck don't know what the relevance was to the meeting, or anything else we would ever discuss in aforementioned meeting.

       I let this person go on about how "wrong" and "nasty" this age difference was for a whole, oh, three minutes.  I didn't interrupt.  I promise.

       After she was done, I told this person that I personally didn't see what business it was of hers, that I didn't understand her judgement of these people, and that it was not even relevant to a work meeting.  She replied, "Well, I think it's nasty."

       After my head spun clear around, I just let her know that there is a 19 year age difference between my husband and I, and 17 years between my parents, and that before she continues daily making these social faux pas, she had better see who is around and who is listening that may take offense to it.

       I don't take offense to the dumb shit people say, as I've heard it my whole life, and I don't care that people have opinions that are often based on false information, and  I really don't care if they don't like everything I do or say. 

       What makes me madder than anything, though, is when a person puts an opinion or thought out there and doesn't have the gumption to stick with it.  After I told her about our age difference, she completely changed her tune and smoke came a-pourin' out of my ears.  People of the world, if you have an opinion, don't change it the first time someone says something about it!  Dear Lord, nothing makes me madder.  I just wanted to get up and leave.  Don't kiss up to me, I don't care!  But please, please, stick to your guns!  Did you not listen to Motley Crue in the 80s?  "You gotta stick to your guns/ What's right for you is not right for everyone." 

My friendly advice:  Unless you are going to stick to your guns, just keep your trap shut.  My momma's version of this advice:  Don't write checks with your mouth that your ass can't cash.

4 comments:

  1. My wife is 12 years older than me, though you can't tell it from looking at us. It amazes me, though, the number of folks who have to comment, if they find out. Apparently, younger wives are better tolerated than younger husbands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't get that either. They don't notice or have a problem then they find out the years in between and the gums start flappin. My mom is older than my dad, and I think she caught more mouth than I did marrying an older man. I think it's kinda sexist. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love stories about people who know what works for other people. I give you credit for your patience. I am not very politically correct or touchy-feely. I would have had trouble saying anything that did not end with "and the horse you rode in on!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, to be honest, I was surprised my redneck-upbringing didn't override my need for a paycheck and let me lay hands on her! :)

    ReplyDelete