Follow by Email

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Things I Need (But Do Not Have)

I felt like baking today.  So, I sat down with some cookbooks, only to realize I don't have at least one of the key ingredients to the things I wanted to make.


My Better Homes and Gardens magazine came in yesterday, and I always like their recipes, and lo-and-behold, there in front of me lies a recipe for inside-out s'mores brownies.  


It calls for graham crackers.


Score!  I have some.


It calls for chocolate chips.


I'm 2 and 0.


It calls for tiny marshmallows.


Hmmm....


I have the fruit flavored tiny ones, but somehow I see that being gross.  Somewhere in this pantry that is more like a Rubiks cube, I at one time in the recent past had marshmallow fluff.


Then I remember seeing a certain teenager sitting in front of the computer on facebook with a spoon in one hand, jar of Mallow-fluff in the other.


I want these brownies so much today that I then remember vaguely my mamaw making marshmallows.  I can do this.  I'll make the homemade marshmallows and then make the super-duper inside-out s'mores brownies.


At this point I really felt like I was the real deal...making homemade marshmallows to go in homemade brownies that promise gooey-ness of epic proportions...


Only to find that I have no gelatin in this entire house that isn't lime or peach flavored.


It took an hour of trying to make this work to realize it wasn't going to happen unless I get dressed and drive to town in 16 degree weather for either tiny marshmallows or gelatin.


Being a resourceful person with an interest in not wasting precious fossil fuel, I realized I had vodka in the freezer.  I may not be the Martha Stewart today of brownie-making, but I dare her to make a better jello-shot.


Sometimes, it's better to stick with what you know.  Even if it is the ratio of vodka-to-jello or coke-to-Woodford that spells perfection.

2 comments:

  1. That's what I'm talking about!! Resourcefullness at its finest!
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you know what they say..."Waste not, want not." :)

    ReplyDelete