Follow by Email

Sunday, February 2, 2014

Treadwell



I started reading Treadwell by Dana Joy Wyzard at 6:30 last night, and finished at 11:30 because I couldn't put the damn book down.  The Bourne Identity was on for the first time in my life, and I didn't even watch it.

As a Hoosier, I have a tender spot in my heart for this god-forsaken state that has schizophrenic weather.  When I can read about it through someone else's eyes, I can never resist seeing it through a different perspective, a different set of circumstances.

I have 78 pages of books on my Kindle account, and have read them all.  I have read all the greats, I have read Slaughter House 5, and I have read Twilight.  I will read anything that gets me interested in the characters, or that makes me feel like I know them, can relate to them.

This is one of those books.

I am not a book critic, I usually just annoy people until I convince them just to read whatever I am telling them, saying, "You HAVE to read this!"

This is one of those books.

The book takes place in a small town in Southern Indiana, setting the stage for Nelda.  I immediately was attached to Nelda, because Nelda is my future.  Independent, stubborn, fiercely loyal, and looks older than what she is.  I love it when the heroine of the story is described as a real person.  Too often, authors write of women saying something to the effect of main character doesn't realize she's beautiful in nontraditional way, blah blah blah.  Here in the real world (Indiana) women age, damn it.  I like that Nelda was a sixty-something woman who didn't give a shit if she looked a day over seventy.  These are the kinda women we should want our daughters to read about, women that embrace their age as experience, who can take care of themselves, and for the love of God, know how to load a shotgun.  Wosie, Nelda's best friend, a spit-fire who takes care of her business, as well as making a stand for social justice of minorities.  One of my favorite parts of the book is the introduction of Wosie, an entrepreneur of a small town bait-n-tackle/grocery/hair salon, and her firm stance in taking on two African American men in an all-white town.

As Wyzard opens the book, I swear I could see exactly what she was describing, from Gladys' home to Nelda's sparkling clean house.  When Nelda breaks the window to her friends house, I swear I hear the window break.  Even as the character focus shifts, I never felt whiplash, and most importantly, I have a tendency to skip certain character's points of view in a story, feeling like some are boring or not as well written.  I never skipped a page.

The book opens up with the death of Nelda's friend, in the hills of Southern Indiana.  Meanwhile, south of the River, (for ya'll not familiar with geographical terms such as 'south of the river', that would be the Ohio River, south of which lies Kentucky) a storm is a brewin.  We meet young Laura, who has just graduated from high school, whose mother marries a douchebag (sorry, it's true) with a son of his own.  Not only are these men both abusive type-A assholes, they are also involved in the complicated drug cartel and web of meth labs that has become my dear state, and those of my southern neighbors.  After killing Laura's mother, spinning the story, then heading North, they stop at the small town of Treadwell, where their cousin is a cop.  Meanwhile, Laura is on her own, not knowing where she is going to go, or what to do, as her mother is now murdered, and due to the expansive network of drugs and deceit, is a smart enough girl to know that her life is in jeopardy, does the only thing she can think to do: keep running.  Nelda, takes in Laura, learns of what the girl was running from, and provides sanctuary for her, all the while trying to hide her identity.  The town's holy-roller minister, however, throws a kink in Nelda's plans to shelter Laura, when he stops their vehicle by standing in the road, preaching fire and damnation, catching the ire of Maylene, who fancies herself to be the preacher's wife one day.

I can't continue to give you a play-by-play of this story, because I could sit here all day and talk about this book.  What I want you to do is go read the book.  I'd never steer you wrong when it comes to books.

This book is in my top 10 now.  It will be a book that I revisit often, because I feel like Nelda and Wosie and Haverly and Laura are my kin, and because the book has a lot of humor.  The characters are people you can relate to, and I think Wyzard set the scene so if you aren't from Indiana, you'll see that we take up for each other,  that the hills and hollers that gently roll are full of folks that may not talk like you do, but would have your back if you got in a pickle.

Thanks for writing this book, Dana.  I really can't say enough about it, and I hope that it isn't the last novel of yours I'll get to read.  I wrote, and rewrote this post, wanting to do this book justice, but in the end, I had to just stop. This is a book something blogpost could never do justice, or maybe I'm incapable of recommending books beyond just telling folks to trust me, and for that, I apologize.

You can purchase the book at Amazon, and you can visit Dana's blog here.

24 comments:

  1. Logging into my library account the moment I hit "send" on this comment! Thank you for the book review; I am intrigued. LOVED your post from the previous day as well. I look forward to more of your posts! A die-hard reader in Coal City, IL, who learned to read at 4, and read EVERYTHING she could get her hands on, and STILL IS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous...Thank you for the kind words, but a book critic I am not! I appreciate you taking time to read my words, and for feeling compelled to let me know they aren't just sitting idly on the interwebs. :) I promise that I may not be the best writer, but I write what I mean, and it's anybody's guess what I'll write from day-to-day. Keep a'readin, Honey!

      Mandy

      Delete
  2. I miss Indiana. It's in my every thought and leaving was not my idea. You will have a hunk of visitors after my post today. It took me over a year to rid myself of false blog friends, and the ones who remain are the loves of my life.

    I've had nothing but good reviews by people on Amazon, but you chewed the marrow and felt a bond that I intended readers to have. Some readers realized that Nelda IS me. Now she's YOU.

    I AM writing a sequel.

    THANK YOU

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lotta Joy,
      I'm not sure too many folks want to read my ramblings, but woman, you have got a GIFT! I am counting down to your sequel with the same enthusiasm as I count down to the next season of The Walking Dead! (Unless they kill off Daryl, in which case Occupy Wallstreet will have NOTHING on me.)

      Mandy

      Delete
    2. They got rid of Carol via the sidewalk. They got rid of Shane (first mistake), I didn't mind losing Rick's wife, but HERSHEL???????? (Second mistake.) DAMMIT!

      So, I'd say Daryl's days are numbered and my I LOVE DARYL t-shirt will be unwearable.

      Delete
  3. Carol was on my nerves anyway. Cora? That woman always seemed off. But for the love of Gawd, when they killed Hershel, I was ready to take up arms and go kick that producers ass? HERSHEL?? Why, Lord, why? I'd hope to hell they all know that if they off our Daryl, their little hit show is over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Hershel, and the most obvious person to kill at that time would have been Michonne, but I assume they have plans for her, while poor Hershel had outlived his usefulness. But not to me. If they had kept Shane from the beginning, he would have had many more scenes that he was handmade for. I'm so glad I found another Walking Deadhead. And I got tired of Rick losing his mind all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No joke, I get it, life is hard and all, and you are always fighting for survival, but I was getting mad at how selfish he was. I mean, come on RIck! You got a baby and a son, get your head outta your ass already!

      Delete
  5. Mandy,
    You did a great job of critiquing Dana's book. I, too, enjoyed it very much. The sequel should be equally intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful review of a wonderful book by a wonderful woman. Have I said that I think they are wonderful yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but we can keep talking about how wonderful it is, because it truly is!

      Delete
  7. Treadwell is a book which I couldn't stop reading right from the get go either. Dana is a talented writer and it doesn't stop there either. Your review was excellent. Now we wait for the sequel ... keep nudging her along as an Indiana sister holds more clout than a Canadian friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dana/Nelda don't know which one I love the most. And she had better writh the prequel to see how Nelda came to be Nelda. Waiting, waiting, waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, visiting from Dana's blog and for the record I think you did a marvelous job reviewing her book. I haven't read it, but now I want to.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Mandy, it's a superb book, I enjoyed it immensely, and that is a cracking review you have done as well. Dana is very gifted, I am completely in awe of her book writing skills, and she is also one of my besty mates as well, though there's no bias. I say it as I see it, and the book is spot on :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting! I can't wait for the sequel!

      Delete
  11. Hi Just popped over from Lotta Joy's place. That is a splendid looking dog you have there! I will be back when I have a litle more time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's our English Mastiff, Dozer. We also have a Boston named Petey.

      Delete
  12. I love Dana (and) Nelda! You've done a fine job reviewing their story!

    -andi

    ReplyDelete